3.03.2008

I've Got Those "I Don't Know What the Fuck I'm Doing" Blues.

Dentist Office, Winter Hill

So, I've been trying to make myself go out and take some real photographs with my digital camera. These few are, unsurprisingly, vertical and have a relatively similar composition. Upon closer inspection, they'd be really great cropped into a square but I feel dirty trying to make them into something they aren't. I've also been trying to figure out the color; a digital photograph will never replicate the intensity of chrome film. I'm trying to figure out how I want the color of these to look, as right now they're leaning towards pretty generic. With film, I worked at establishing a color palate that I really like and was also used to working with, as far as processing and printing goes. More, less saturated?

Cataldo Funeral Home, Winter Hill


I think I need to avoid using the lens at 18mm. It makes everything feel tiny and I am not a big fan of the vignetting.

In other digital picture news, I ordered one a Panosaurus Tripod Head for experimentation. My problem with shooting digital is that it's so immediate and instant that it doesn't feel like it takes a lot of work. I know, that at the end of the day, I'm still using the same eye and sense of composition to make the pictures, regardless of the camera. I want to sort of challenge that expectation and work on using the medium to stretch not only it but the way I work.

Foss Park, Winter Hill


In so many words, I'm starting all over again because I'm using an entirely different camera and thus medium. It's a bit like stumbling around in the dark in a room that you're not familiar with and stubbing your toe on the leg of a table. That said, I still think these feel very much like "my" pictures.